Biometrics and Security [BioSec]
Winter term 2017/2018
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Jana Dittmann and Prof. Dr.-Ing. Claus Vielhauer
Dr.-Ing. Christian Krätzer
Lecture: Wednesday 09AM-11AM in room: G29-K058
Exercises: (The first exercises will be held on October 18th, 2017!)
Recurring exercise data: Wednesday 11AM-1PM in room: G05-209
The registration for the course is strictly required. It is exclusively done via the LSF (registration opens on Sept. 28th, 2017). A registration via eMail is not possible. Because the number of seats is limited, we will assign the slots by "first come first serve", there are no short-lists.
Important update (09.10.2017): The course is completely booked, therefore we closed the registration! If you received a confirmation mail please attend the first lecture on Wednesday Oct. 11th, 2017, otherwise your seat will be given to the people on the waiting list! If you were informed that you are on the waiting list, please attend the first lecture to see whether there are vacant seats. If you did not register so far, we thank you for your interrest in this course, but, as already said, we are completely booked by now.
Exam: The exam in this course is a combination of presentation and seminar paper (in German: "Referat") on a given course topic. The topics are covering different biometric modalities as well as additional issues such as ethics and fusion. Each topic is restricted to a student team of 2 students and focusses on the the realisation of a biometric processing pipeline and experimental setup for a given set of biometric modalities, the collection and documentation of corresponding biometric samples and the evaluation of the mechanism using the data collection.
Due to the increased effort for the students as well as teaching staff, the course size is restricted to 20 participants.
- Motivation, Introduction, Mathematical, Statistical, and Technical Fundamentals & Sensor Technology
- Security aspects
- Error rates, detection reliability
- Multimodal Biometrics and Multifactor Authentication: Fusion strategies
- Examples & application of biometric techniques
- Part 1 - to be uploaded after the first lecture
- Student course topics - descriptions
- Report template
- TeleTrusT Deutschland e.V.: Bewertungskriterien zur Vergleichbarkeit biometrischer Verfahren - Kriterienkatalog - Version 2.0
- Dit-Yan Yeung et al, SVC2004: First International Signature Verification Competition, ICBA 2004
- Jim Wayman (Ed.): NATIONAL BIOMETRIC TEST CENTER COLLECTED WORKS 1997-2000, Particularly relevant: Technical Testing and Evaluation of Biometric Identification Devices pp. 65-88
- John Daugman: "How Iris Recognition Works":http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/jgd1000/
- Thomas Petermann, Constanze Scherz, Arnold Sauter: "TAB-Studie "Biometrie und Ausweisdokumente", Dezember 2003,http://www.tab.fzk.de/de/projekt/zusammenfassung/ab93.pdf
- Multialgorithmic Biometrics: Tobias Scheidat, Claus Vielhauer und Jana Dittmann: "DISTANCE-LEVEL FUSION STRATEGIES FOR ONLINE SIGNATURE VERIFICATION", Proceedings of the International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME), Amsterdam, 2005: Paper
- Multibiometrics: A. K. Jain and A. Ross, "Multibiometric Systems", Communications of the ACM, Special Issue on Multimodal Interfaces , Vol. 47, No. 1, pp. 34-40, January 2004: http://www.csee.wvu.edu/~ross/pubs/RossMultibiometric_CACM04.pdf
- Benedikt Driessen and Markus Duermuth: "Achieving Anonymity Against Major Face Recognition Algorithms". Proc. CMS 2013. http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-642-40779-6_2#